Sibling Support Groups
“After my sister died, I didn’t feel the need to go to any support groups because I thought I could cope on my own. It wasn’t until I started attending the COPE sibling group that I realized I needed the support and sensitivity of people who have suffered a similar loss.” – GJ
There is no greater support than someone who can also relate and understand the depths of your grief. Oftentimes, the loss of a sibling is overshadowed by the loss of a child, and siblings will sometimes feel alone or forgotten. These losses are different and need to be treated differently. There is no exact way of grieving a sister or a brother, as each loss is unique to that person and the relationship he or she had with their sibling. Having the support and a safe place to talk about your loss is important and necessary in the grieving process. COPE allows a place of healing and connectedness in your time of grief. A sibling support group is offered to help you along your journey. This will allow you to feel connected to your sibling, as well as others sharing similar losses.
- Receiving emotional support in a safe and non-judgmental environment
- An opportunity to begin and continue the healing process through sharing your own story and hearing the stories of others.
- Learn coping skills to help you through the difficult days of your grief journey.
- The opportunity to discover new traditions and ideas to keep your sibling present in your hearts and in your memories.
- Increased understanding of how other family members react to loss.
- Permission to grieve and permission to live.
Check the COPE calendar for the most up to date schedule of groups.
Due to New York State Licensing laws, we can only register NYS residents for telehealth and support groups
All new attendees must first contact COPE at (P) 516-274-0540 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents and siblings are welcome to attend more than one group, but all participants who plan to attend a group that they have not attended before must first contact COPE at email@example.com
COPE Support groups are free of charge to families. All other COPE programs, workshops, events and services, as well as support groups, are supported and sustained by your generous donations.