COPING WITH THE HOLIDAYS
- Grief2Growth Podcast with Life Coach Brian Smith
- Medium Suzane Northrop with COPE Founder Lilly Julien
- The Grief Coach Podcast: How to Talk to Children about Grief and Other Advice with the COPE Foundation
- Adam Rabinovitch and Claire Sharkey with Open to Hope: Supporting Children who have Experienced Grief and Trauma
- Farewelling Podcast: “When a Child Dies – Coping and Community” with Adam Rabinovitch
- LI News Radio – Non-profit voice with COPE Foundation & Family and Children’s Association
- L.E.A.P podcast Episode 61: Transformational Grief Resources and Support
HOTLINES AND CRISIS NUMBERS
- National Hopeline Number: 1-800-SUI-CIDE (784-2433)
- Long Island Crisis Center : 516-679-1111
- The Samaritans of NY Suicide Prevention Hotline: 212-673-3000
- Covenant House National Nineline Hotlines (General crisis hotline):1-800-999-9999
- Response of Suffolk County (for any crisis): 631-751-7500
- Poison Control, Nassau County: 516-542-2323
- Lung Cancer: www.lungcancercenter.com/
LOSS ORGANIZATIONS AND GRIEF WEBSITES
- The Koby Mandell Foundation
- Life After Loss A.N.D.R.E.
- Alive Alone
- Bereaved Parents of the USA
- Center for Loss and Renewal
- Center for Loss in Multiple Birth (CLIMB), Inc.
- Centering Corporation
- Compassionate Friends
- Eluna Resource Center
- Faith’s Lodge
- First Candle
- Grief Haven
- Grief Net
- Grief Loss Recovery
- Grieving Children Organization
- Miss Foundation
- The National Center for Grieving Children and Families
- Open to Hope
- Parents of Murdered Children
- Pregnancy Loss Support Program
- Good Grief
- The Surviving Siblings
- Survivors of Suicide
- The Grief Tool Box
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors
- Tuesday’s Children – Programs to Serve your Family for a Lifetime
- Twinless Twins
- Walk In Sunshine
- A Heartbreaking Choice
- Bereaved Parenting
- Helping Parents Heal- Sharing the Journey from Bereaved to Shining Light Parent.
- COVID Grief Resources
OTHER SUPPORT GROUPS AND RESOURCES
- The Brook House: Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Hospice www.brookhavenhospital.org
This hospice based in Patchogue, Long Island offers bereavement groups for adults and children in Suffolk County only, including young widows/widowers, adults grieving loss of parents or grandparents, survivors of suicide and others. No fee.
- Calvary Hospital/Hospice
Offers sibling bereavement support groups on Wednesday evenings at Calvary Hospital in the Bronx. Anyone interested must call and schedule an intake sesssion before registering. Please contact Kristen Finneran, MS, at 718-518-2270 or firstname.lastname@example.org. No fee. Also offers young spouse group, teen bereavement group, a men’s group, and a group for parents whose adult child has died (Mondays, 11am-12:30 pm in the Bronx).
- The Compassionate Friends – Long Island Chapters www.compassionatefriends.org
This national organization has local chapters with meetings in the following Long Island towns: Babylon, East Quogue, Manhasset, Medford, Rockville Centre, and Syosset. For additional information about Compassionate Friends, contact the National Office or phone 630-990-0010 or (toll-free) 877-969-0010.
- East End Hospice www.eeh.org
This hospice based in West Hampton Beach offers bereavement counseling for children, for men, for families and loved ones of AIDS patients. Groups are primarily for adults, not specific on loss. 12 weeks of focused support with goals set. Bereavement care programs are offered to church groups, therapists, and other civic organizations. In addition, run bereavement camp for children of all ages on Shelter Island.
- Good Shepherd Hospice http://goodshepherdhospice.chsli.org
This hospice offers ongoing (weekly) groups for adults – loss of spouse, parent and general loss – at Mercy Hospital (Wed. evenings) and at their center in Port Jefferson (Wed. afternoons). Individual and family counseling available in both Melville and Port Jefferson. Call 631-465-6300 for more information.
- Guardian Angels Perinatal Support http://www.stkilian.com/gaps
Holds support group meetings for those suffering from perinatal (pregnancy and infant) loss in Farmingdale, NY on the first Friday of the month. Also offers telephone support at (516) 249-8589.
- Hospice Care Network www.hospicecarenetwork.org
The Hospice Care Network offers bereavement programs (8 weeks) for adults and children ages 4-18. Programs are free and open to the community. Pre-registration required.
- Joe’s Project – support group in Suffolk Co. for survivors of suicide Family Service League New suicide response program offered by the Family Service League with funding from the Suffolk Co. Legislature. Call 1-888-375-2228 for more information.
- The Neighborhood House (TNH) of Sayville, Founder and CEO is Michelle Virga. 631-589-0055. Email: email@example.com
- Rehabspot.com-website is designed to not only assist individuals who are struggling with an addiction, but also their loved ones in providing tips on how to go about helping a loved one in need. There is a specific section dedicated to grief and substance abuse. www.Rehabspot.com/Grief
- The Mindful Place offers Long Island mindfulness meditation and stress reduction (MBSR) courses, events, seminars, guided meditations, and more. https://themindfulplace.net/
- Positively Pink – A Breast Cancer Charity in Stony Brook, NY. Website: https://positivelypink.org/
- GRASP – GRASP is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a safe, non-judgmental forum, so that people grieving the loss of a loved one to substance use/overdose may share their feelings, stories, struggles, strategies and support with each other – grasphelp.org
- Birth Injury Justice Center – The Birth Injury Justice Center was created as a helpful resource focused on victims of birth injuries and their families. Their mission is to provide legal information and guidance and serve all families with disabilities caused by physical birth injuries. Website: www.childbirthinjuries.com/birth-injury
- Grief2Growth – Brian D Smith, Grief Guide | Life Coach | eBusiness Expert. Website: https://www.grief2growth.com/
The Teagan Ansley Foundation – A national foundation supporting parents and family members that have lost a NICU or stillborn child. Webpage: Teaganansley.org
- Luella’s Lodge (luellaslodge.org)
- The Office of Crime Victim Advocate (OCVA) was created to ensure that victims of crime and witnesses to crime in Nassau County are afforded all the legal rights, protections, and assistance they are entitled to under the law. The Office of Crime Victim Advocate is committed to treating victims and witnesses with dignity, fairness, and respect: nassaucountyny.gov/1608/Office-of-Crime-Victim-Advocate
- PROJECT HOPE – nyprojecthope.org including contacts:
- Jeanne Morrison, Team Leader at charlesevanscenter.org
- Gina Ocello, Team Leader for Project Hope, NY at empowerli.org
- Nicole Maio, Project Hope, Crisis Counselor at https://www.mhanc.org/
Listing of resources does not imply an endorsement by COPE and is included to provide sources of useful information for bereaved families.